Cotton Court clients HM Network are running two “GDPR Express” Roadshows in Preston and Lancaster next month!
27th June 2017
HM Network Ltd have taken the initiative following interest from a number of councils, chambers of commerce and ERDF supported growth programmes, to set up a number of awareness events with a simple aim – to help share knowledge on how the current Data Protection Act will be replaced with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as of 25th May 2018. That’s just over a year away.
This will affect all businesses that hold any type of personal customer/staff data that can be traced back to an individual whether B2B or B2C. Whether you market to customers or simply hold staff records this will affect you in some way. No market sector is outside the scope – some sectors are even classed as ‘sensitive’. So where do you sit?
Financial consequences are potentially huge. Data Breaches could result in fines of €10M / 2% of Global turnover or, for serious breaches, €20M / 4% of Global turnover whichever is higher. Whether you run a marketing company, store customer data on a loyalty card, have XLS spreadsheets of names and addresses it WILL affect you. Regardless of Brexit these fines the UK ICO will enforce this as GDPR standards will become part of UK Law.
Some of your B2B or B2C partners may not be able to do business with you if you are non-compliant and lastly the reputational effect to customers of not treating the protection of data privacy seriously means steps must be taken.
So, your questions to ask are:
● What to prepare and understand your current situation?
● Do I need a Data Protection Officer (DPO)?
● How to ensure your business becomes and stays compliant?
● Could a malicious competitor of ours use GDPR against us?
● Do we have the knowledge and resources internally? If not
● Who can help providing advice throughout the process?
Expertise coming to You!
HM Network are making plans to arrange some awareness sessions, with help and advice from specialists in a number of fields including:
- Data Connectivity and digital marketing
- The legal implications of data privacy and GDPR (solicitor)
- Cyber security advice (serious crime squad / cyber security specialist)
- Data Protection Audit Services, GDPR processes and advice
- Data Disposal / Hardware recycling advice
Get a head start by downloading this free 12 steps guide provided by the ICO
Each session will include a number of speakers and some interactive Q&A and will last approximately 2 hours in total.
HM Network plan to hold 6 sessions over over a 3 day period with sessions split into timings of approximately 9.30-11.30 AM and 1.30-3.30 PM or 2.00-4.00PM on each of the days.
The first scheduled sessions are planned to take place at the following locations
To register your interest in attending these sessions please click the link associated with the venue.
* Please note session dates / times / locations may be subject to change, any changes will be advised in advance.
Lancaster – White Cross Business Park. Date 27th June 2017 9.30-11.30 AM
Preston – Fives, 49 Guildhall Street Preston. Date 27th June 2017 2.00pm – 4.00pm
(Open for lunch ahead of the event if anyone wishes to eat onsite beforehand http://fives.co.uk/ )
Blackpool – TBC