The general wire works rooms were devoted to making decorative and ornamental wire works, such as flower stands, garden arches, trellis work and window guards. Another important section of the business was the manufacture of window blinds. Starkie & Sons used to make Venetian blinds using the best yellow pine for the laths, which were both paned and painted by machine.
The last department manufactured wrought iron fencing, hurdles, gates, railings of all shapes and sizes that were often installed by his employees. Mr Starkie had to expand the premises to meet demand both in the UK and his thriving export trade.
The image here shows James Starkie & Son’s Wire floats on London Road during the 1902 Preston Guild. The float closest to the camera displays a selection of the company’s blinds. The next displays the ornate wire pagoda. For the next 100 years was always known as “The Wireworks”.
A huge thank you to Peter G Wilkinson (Preston Historical Society) for all his hard work.